

Connor Mitchell ready to make name after wise words from Conor Benn
10 hrs ago
4 min read
Connor Mitchell says words of wisdom from Conor Benn have helped him forge his own path away from the shadow of his famous father.
Mitchell, the 21-year-old son of British boxing favourite Kevin, kicked off his professional career in December and will fight for the fourth time on August 22 at Copper Box Arena.
It will be his first outing at the famous old venue, where his dad boxed and won 11 times as a professional, forging a reputation as one of the most explosive fighters to emerge from London’s East End.
But while his young son is proud to follow in the footsteps of his fighting father, considered one of the best British boxers to have never won a world title, Mitchell is keen to make his own name in the sport.
And he says the presence of close friend Benn, himself the son of British boxing royalty, has helped with that process.
“We speak about it all the time,” Mitchell tells The Ring. “It is different coming into this sport with a dad who everyone knows.
“Before I had my pro debut, Conor pulled me to one side and said, ‘look, don't worry about people's comments, go and do your thing.
“He told me that it’s inevitable that people are going to say ‘he's not as good as his dad and this and that’ but don't worry about it. Does it matter? I was like, ‘nah, true.'
“He has been through all of that so knows how to handle it. But me being a young kid at 21, I might not have known how to react to things so just having Conor’s advice really helped.
“Luckily I haven’t really had any of that yet, I’m still only learning, but I will know how to handle it.”
Mitchell and Benn, along with the likes of Chris Eubank Jr. and Campbell Hatton, are part of a small clutch of fighters who first emerged beneath the shadow of well-known British boxers. And while a famous surname can open doors, it can also lead to extra scrutiny from the public.
Mitchell adds: “He just told me not to worry about any of that. He always just says to keep your head focused on what you want to do. Don't worry about anyone else on the outside. Focus on your goals, and it's a dream, go for it.”
So far that is exactly what the promising junior lightweight has done, with three wins inside his first six months as a pro with two of those coming inside the distance.
But a month before his debut, Mitchell was handed a taste of the big time by Benn, who invited him to join his ringwalk for the second clash with Eubank at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last November.
“It was just unbelievable,” Mitchell says. “I think there was about 80,000 people in there so just seeing all those lights facing you was unreal, even if it wasn’t me fighting.
“It was a month before my first fight and just seeing all that and experiencing it in the background made me feel like I was already there, it felt like I’d done it already and I was fine.”
Now Mitchell, a proud West Ham fan like his dad, has set his sights on taking center stage in his own stadium fight across the capital at the Hammers’ London Stadium home.
The southpaw was a guest of the club for their first game of the season, when more than 50,000 fans crammed into the stadium for their 3-1 Carabao Cup victory over Portsmouth on August 8. Mitchell, along with Jimmy Sains and George Liddard, were presented to the crowd and interviewed on the pitch.
“I remember going on the pitch with my dad when he would do interviews and stuff at our old ground,” Mitchell says of Upton Park.
“It’s a bit mad because one of the ladies even said that she remembered me as a baby with my dad and now it’s me on the pitch doing this stuff. But it’s a good experience and will hopefully grow our fanbase.
“But being there just made me even more determined to box there one day. My dad boxed back at the old ground so for me to do it at the new one would be special.”
Mitchell Sr. (39-4, 29 KOs) famously topped the bill at Upton Park in May 2010 but was stopped inside three rounds by a rampant Michael Katsidis. The heavy-handed lightweight would then go on to lose in world title challenges against Ricky Burns and Jorge Linares before he eventually retired in 2015.
Now more than a decade on, his son wants to be the man to deliver a world title for the family.
“To sell out West Ham and win a world title at the top of the bill,” he says. “That’s my goal for my boxing career, simple as that.
“To win that world title for my dad would be amazing. He got there so many times but didn’t get over the line. He got so close against Linares but it didn’t happen.
“But I am on a path now and hopefully, one day, I’ll be able to do it.”
Mitchell's next fight will take place on the undercard for the event headlined by George Liddard's clash with Dario Morello for the vacant European middleweight title. The whole show will be broadcast live on DAZN.
The Gerbasi Corner honors longtime Ring Magazine and boxing contributor Tom Gerbasi, who passed away suddenly on Sept. 15, 2025. A 2024 Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism, Gerbasi took particular joy in telling the stories of up-and-coming and unheralded prospects in the sport.
Gerbasi's Corner
News

Next
Declan Taylor: Visiting Benn in camp shows he's made it, but wants more
Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners









































