7 hrs ago
2 min read
Oleksandr Usyk has dominated the heavyweight division ever since stepping into the weight class in 2019 following an undisputed run as a cruiserweight king.
Usyk’s 8-0 record as a heavyweight has been highlighted by two wins each against Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and Daniel Dubois. Usyk twice etched his name as the undisputed heavyweight champion and is The Ring, IBF, WBA and WBC champion and The Ring’s No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter.
Usyk’s next opponent arrives from an unconventional path when long-reigning kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven gives it a go in a crossover clash Saturday at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.
The spectacle is perceived as a stay-busy layup for the 25/1 favorite Ukrainian. As Usyk (24-0, 15 KOs) embraces the final fights of his career, arranging top-flight challenges could prove to be problematic.
WBC interim champion Agit Kabayel, ranked No. 2 by The Ring, is the most deserving contender from the bunch and a matchup could generate big numbers in Germany, but Usyk has not been inclined to embrace the encounter despite his impressive run. The idea, however, has been backed by Turki Alalshikh.
The rest of the field comes with its own set of issues.
Usyk and Joshua are now close friends, and a trilogy against Fury could make sense. First, Fury would have to beat Joshua later this year to earn the shot. Usyk has also called for a fight against Deontay Wilder, but beating the faded and rusted “Bronze Bomber” would be a bust.
And after Usyk knocked out Dubois in a July rematch after doing the same in August 2023, a trilogy isn't in demand even after the latter claimed the WBO crown earlier this month by stopping Fabio Wardley in a brutal battle. Usyk already passed on a Wardley fight and vacated his WBO crown in November because he believed it would not be good business.
That leaves two other very intriguing and viable wild cards for Usyk to consider: 21-year-old knockout phenom Moses Itauma (14-0, 12 KOs) and David Benavidez (32-0, 26 KOs), who made his cruiserweight debut earlier this month and crushed Gilberto Ramirez for the WBA and WBO titles.
When a bout against Benavidez was brought up Wednesday, the fleet-footed Usyk danced around the question.
“Now, it's only speaking about this,” Usyk told The Ring. “For me, first it's my fight on Saturday. You know? My focus is Rico now.”
Itauma promoter Frank Warren believes he has the future king of the division, and he’s pushing for him to face Usyk next.
After Benavidez blasted Ramirez in six rounds, Alalshikh also expressed interest in financially backing a bout with Usyk in 2027.
Benavidez boasts a big game and name and has expressed interest in a heavyweight run, but not as much as stepping back down to 175 pounds, where he also holds a WBC crown, to take on Dmitry Bivol in an undisputed title fight.
Usyk, meanwhile, is increasingly talking about hanging up the gloves as his 40th birthday nears in January.
Usyk reiterated that retirement is imminent over the next 18 months and said he plans to focus on coaching, acting in movies and tending to his businesses but not partaking in politics.
“I'm adequately thinking about how much I have done, how much is left, and enjoying what I am doing now," said Usyk. "And then I will enjoy something else."
Featured Article

Next
Oleksandr Usyk: When I Say I’m Retired, I Won’t Be Back
RELATED ARTICLES
Declan Taylor: Usyk isn't in decline, Verhoeven victory very unlikely
Column

Fury: Verhoeven needs 'intelligence' to beat Usyk, become world champ
Featured Article

Boxing Leifer: Ali photographer to capture 'Glory in Giza'
Feature

RELATED ARTICLES
Declan Taylor: Usyk isn't in decline, Verhoeven victory very unlikely
Column

Fury: Verhoeven needs 'intelligence' to beat Usyk, become world champ
Featured Article

Boxing Leifer: Ali photographer to capture 'Glory in Giza'
Feature

Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners









































