4 hrs ago
2 min read
Former IBF middleweight titlist Vincenzo Gaultieri has his eye on becoming a two-time world champion.
But first, the 32-year-old German will have to get past unbeaten Amari Jones on Friday at SAP Center in San Jose, California.
"This is a huge opportunity for me and I will do everything in my power to seize it," Gaultieri (25-1-1, 8 KOs) told The Ring.
"It's no secret that everyone at the top is good and strong. I am too, and I'm confident in myself. On the 22nd, I will show how I will exploit his weaknesses."
Gualtieri, who began boxing at 12, took part in 100 amateur fights, and won three German national titles before switching to professional boxing in 2015 working with former IBF super middleweight titlist Graciano Rocchigiani.
He worked his way up and completed his journey to world honors when he claimed the vacant IBF 160-pound strap against Esquiva Falcao in July 2023.
"This experience was indescribable," he said of winning a world title. "I became world champion in my hometown. It was something very special.
"Everyone who starts a sport and competes wants to be the best at it. And I want to become the best in the world again in boxing in my weight class."
The German dared to be great in his first defense three months later, facing WBO ruler Janibek Alimkhanuly, who stopped him in six rounds in their unification.
Since then, he's won four fights against admittedly modest opposition.
"That's true, those weren't world-class fights," he admitted. "But I won the WBO European championship title [in February 2025] and moved up to fourth place in the WBO rankings.
"Unfortunately, I suffered an injury after that fight, forcing me to take a break. Otherwise, I would have fought another world-class bout sooner."
In this fight with Jones, Gaultieri's back is against the wall, he's the older, more worn fighter and his concedes his career could be on the line.
"Age doesn't matter," he said. "I feel fitter than ever.
"With every fight, and especially away from home, you put your career at risk."
Gaultieri's promoter, Ingo Volckmann of AGON Sports, was happy to take his fighter on the road and put him back into the upper echelons of the division in a bid to become a two-time champion.
"Amari Jones is an extremely strong man, It certainly won't be easy, but that's boxing," said the promoter. "Only good people are at the top.
"Vincenzo has already surpassed himself once, when he became world champion against Falcao. I'm counting on his experience, because that will be the deciding factor. Vincenzo is in good shape and is meticulously preparing for his fight against the young gun in the USA."
Jones (16-0, 14 KOs) was a good amateur before turning professional in 2021. The 24-year-old Northern Californian worked his way up independently before signing with Golden Boy in June 2025.
Since then, he has won two fights, stopping Shady Gamhour (TKO 3) and, most recently, Luis Arias (RTD 4) on February 21.
Questions and/or comments can be sent to Anson at elraincoat@live.co.uk and you can follow him on X @AnsonWainwr1ght.
Article

Next
Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt: Verhoeven says he’ll beat Usyk!
RELATED ARTICLES
Mbilli Motivated To Make Everyone Remember Name By Beating Canelo
Featured News

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt: Verhoeven says he’ll beat Usyk!
Featured Article

Bob Arum applauds Terence Crawford for retiring on top
Featured News

RELATED ARTICLES
Mbilli Motivated To Make Everyone Remember Name By Beating Canelo
Featured News

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt: Verhoeven says he’ll beat Usyk!
Featured Article

Bob Arum applauds Terence Crawford for retiring on top
Featured News

Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners









































