Oct 14, 2025
2 min read
Matchroom's unbeaten talent Leo Atang has heard early comparisons to Moses Itauma, but is pleading for patience rather than rushing them into a potential fight too early as the pair of British heavyweights go about their business, building steadily on ...
One of boxing's most well worn cliches is that heavyweight boxers reach their prime later than fighters who campaign further down the weight scale.
Moses Itauma’s rapid rise through the rankings could well redefine those norms.
Itauma is a very rare exception to a long established rule but after just 13 fights, the 20 year-old is already widely regarded as the eventual heir apparent to the heavyweight throne.
So far, 18 year-old Yorkshireman Leo Atang has boxed just twice and spent the grand total of five minutes in the ring but the 2024 World Under-19 champion has been touted as a future star since the moment he decided to turn professional.
Boxing is increasingly becoming a sport of comparison and the two young, British heavyweights are already being mentioned in the same breath.
"I get it every interview but it's nice. He's a fighter who I definitely look up to a lot," Atang (2-0, 2 KOs) said during an appearance on Matchroom's Flash Knockdown show.
"He's very, very good, but this is a fighter who's borderline world level now. He's knocking on for world titles now so the fact that after two fights I'm getting compared to him or even in talks with him, it's nice because it knows that I'm doing something right."
Heavyweight boxing is almost an entirely different business to the rest of the sport but the one thing common to elite fighters throughout the divisions is an unshakeable confidence in their own ability and potential.
Atang's reaction and attitude when Itauma's name is mentioned is notable. He doesn't shrink away from the idea of fighting him, wring his hands and put Itauma on a pedestal.
Neither does he make headlining grabbing but unrealistic statements and claims.
Atang speaks realistically and respectfully about Itauma but doesn't shy away from the possibility that whilst they are currently on complete different career paths, those routes could well diverge at some point in the future.
"Oh, yeah. It can happen down the line, but the longer it goes on, the more hype is going to build," he said.
"I know people who know of us now are going to be like, 'Oh, let's get the fight tomorrow' But it's stupid. You should let us build.
"Let me build, let him build. He's done a lot of building but I'm sure he's got a lot of improvement as well to do. I've got a lot of catching up to do but, when it does happen, shut down."
Analysis
Noticias de combate

Next
Hamzah Sheeraz Won't Wait For Canelo Alvarez, Next Fight Plans Up In The Air
Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners










































