5 hrs ago
2 min read
An improbable candidate has emerged to win the Manny Pacquiao sweepstakes.
After announcing a Jan. 24 fight date that never came to be, and entertaining matchups with Floyd Mayweather and WBA welterweight champ Rolly Romero, Pacquiao moved on to Ruslan Provodnikov for a 10-round welterweight exhibition match on April 18 at Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.
The exhibition was announced Tuesday by event organizers Indistry Media and Arthur Pelullo’s Banner Promotions.
“I carry the Philippines with me every time I fight,” said Pacquiao in a statement. “The support from my country and from fans around the world continues to inspire me. Returning to Las Vegas means so much to me, and I’m excited to work with a team focused on creating a world-class experience for the fans. I’m coming back to give them a great fight — and I’m ready.”
Pacquiao (62-8-3, 39 KOs) returned from a four-year retirement in July and fought to a majority draw against WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios. Pacquiao turned 47 in December and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in June.
Provodnikov (25-5, 18 KOs) hasn’t fought as a pro since 2016. Now 42, he retired after losing four of his last seven fights. Although the stretch was uneven, it was a significant one that put Provodnikov’s name on the boxing map, especially after his 2013 Fight of the Year against Timothy Bradley.
After the war against Bradley, Provodnikov, nicknamed "The Siberian Rocky," beat Mike Alvarado for the WBO 140-pound title in 2013 but failed to defend it next time out against Chris Algieri in 2014. Provodnikov also knocked out a war-torn version of Jose Luis Castillo that year and dropped a majority decision against Lucas Matthysse in 2015.
“Manny and Ruslan should have faced each other earlier in their careers, and it’s a shame it didn’t happen sooner, but at least we are getting it now,” Pelullo said in a statement.
“Both Manny and Ruslan are among the most exciting, fan-friendly and TV-friendly fighters of their generation. Manny and Ruslan never back down and never give an inch. Manny showed in his last fight with Barrios that, despite his age, he is still a world-class fighter. Personally, I thought he won the fight and should be the WBC welterweight champion. As far as Ruslan is concerned, Ruslan has always wanted to get either Pacquiao or Mayweather in the ring, and now the opportunity is here. I am confident that Ruslan will steal the show and rise to the occasion.”
Manouk Akopyan is The Ring’s lead writer. Follow him on X and Instagram: @ManoukAkopyan
News
Announcement

Next
Joe Frazier's robes from Muhammad Ali fights up for auction
RELATED ARTICLES
Manny Pacquiao Heads International Boxing Hall of Fame Class of 2025, Enters During First Year Of Eligibility
Analysis

Arum Says 'Disciplined’ Inoue’s Career ‘More Legendary' Than Pacquiao
Analysis

Manny Pacquiao To End Retirement, Face Mario Barrios For WBC World Welterweight Title On July 19
Analysis

RELATED ARTICLES
Manny Pacquiao Heads International Boxing Hall of Fame Class of 2025, Enters During First Year Of Eligibility
Analysis

Arum Says 'Disciplined’ Inoue’s Career ‘More Legendary' Than Pacquiao
Analysis

Manny Pacquiao To End Retirement, Face Mario Barrios For WBC World Welterweight Title On July 19
Analysis

Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners









































