54 mins ago
2 min read
The dust has barely settled on the ferocious WBO heavyweight title fight between Fabio Wardley and Daniel Dubois but the British rivals will soon begin preparing to renew hostilities.
Last week, it was announced that Wardley had activated a rematch clause and will attempt to regain his belt later this year.
On May 9, Dubois picked himself up from two early knockdowns and tightened his grip on a savage war as the rounds passed.
Try as he might, Wardley couldn’t summon up the type of late, dramatic turnaround that has become his trademark. Although he never stopped looking for his big right hand, Dubois got wise to the tactic and Wardley absorbed a tremendous amount of punishment before being stopped in the 11th round.
Afterwards, most assumed that Wardley would have a long rest and wondered whether Dubois would be called to defend his newly won belt against the WBO’s number one ranked heavyweight, Moses Itauma.
Not many thought that the 31-year-old from Ipswich would quickly pull the trigger on a violent rematch. Warren wasn’t surprised though, having learned the former champion isn't the type to be deterred by a setback.
“I think it's the type of guy he is. He's a fighting man,” Warren told talkSPORT.
“They have the right to and have notified us that they want the rematch. So, we'll see what happens and if it does happen sometime in the autumn, he must fancy his chances or wouldn't do that.
“It'll be a big, exciting fight. It was brutal, a tough and exciting fight to watch except for the last couple of rounds when I felt that he [Daniel] was pulling away in the fight.
“I thought Daniel done extremely well and with Fabio, he showed what he's all about which is his courage and guts. He never went on the floor and [he showed] how tough he is, but they want to dance again so we'll make it happen.”
The first fight grabbed public attention from the moment it was rumoured but it surpassed every expectation.
There wasn’t a seat to be found inside Manchester’s huge Co-op Live Arena and the fight was such a spectacle that tickets would be even harder to come by for a rematch.
Warren believes that it deserves to be seen by an even bigger live audience.
“The feedback we've had from everybody is how much they enjoyed the fight,” he said.
“A lot of people said it's one of the best fights they've seen and I subscribe to that. I genuinely do believe it'll wind up in a stadium. I think it will happen.”
Update
Heavyweight

Next
Fabio Wardley activates Daniel Dubois rematch clause
Can you beat Coppinger?
Lock in your fantasy picks on rising stars and title contenders for a shot at $100,000 and exclusive custom boxing merch.

Partners











































